Board of Trustees
A dedicated team of long serving members throughout the years has contributed, with a supportive Management team, to clear strategic direction, underpinned in recent years by the creation and development of a strong vision. The school vision: A community empowering life long learners to achieve and make a difference is the reference point for everything we do at Board level and through the school and forms the basis for our annual and long term strategic plans.
Many of you may have met our current Trustees at various events and meetings over the past year. The Board includes: The Principal, a group of 5 elected parents and an elected staff trustee. We have a wide variety of skills and experience and work together as part of a professional yet fun team.
Here are some of the things we do
- Work with the principal and consult with staff, students and the community.
- Set the educational goals and strategic direction of the school.
- Monitor progress and let parents know how the school is progressing against its annual targets and how well students are achieving.
- Decide how the school’s funding will be spent.
- Select the school’s principal and support the development of all staff.
- Oversee the management of staff, property, finances, curriculum and administration.
The Role of the Board
Boards of trustees are Crown entities and are responsible for the governance of schools. Our role, as trustees, is to make sure that your school is run in the best interests of our students and our community.
- Ensure the school has a clear sense of purpose by establishing its strategic objectives, documenting these objectives in a school charter, and monitoring progress in achieving these objectives
- Set priorities and goals for improvement of learning and achievement in the school
- Seek assurance from the management (principal and senior staff) that the programmes being implemented in the school can achieve the goals
- Monitor the school’s performance against student achievement outcomes
- Seek assurance from the school's management that the school's resources are being used optimally to deliver the agreed outcomes, ensuring, for example, that resources are available to ensure the knowledge and skills of the teachers are up to date
- Be accountable for the exercise of decision-making rights
We need to assure the government that:
The students in the school are receiving a high quality standard of education
National priorities for school education are being addressed in the school
The resources are being used prudently to ensure the highest possible quality programmes are provided for students.
Meet The Board
Andrew Short (Chair), Kylie McIntyre, Andrea Smee (Staff Rep), Shane Oliver, Conan O’Reilly and Jon Walton.
20 Albert Hall Drive
Red Beach NZ 0932
Phone: 09 426 8915
Fax: 09 426 8731